Since many businesses share the space within a larger building, directory signs are necessary for informing and guiding building visitors (or other potential tenants). Without these directories, we would aimlessly wander around, hoping to miraculously discover where we need to be. Who has time for that? Whether positioned inside the building or just outside at an entrance, directory signage solves the problem of 'where' so that we can quickly be on our way to the right place.
A proof we created for a 30" by 48" custom exterior building directory.
There is never a bad time to add a directory to your building, but we recommend that it's part of the initial construction. In doing so, it's simple to incorporate features that are complementary to the building decor from the very beginning. Plus, the initial tenants will have time to provide their information so that it can be listed on the directory as soon as the building opens.
If you need a directory for your business or building, here are some standard questions to consider:
- Will your sign be located inside or outside?
- If it will be for outdoor use, will it be protected or exposed to the weather?
- Do you know the dimensions you would like for the signage?
- On what type of material will the sign hang?
- Will you need the panels/slats to be interchangeable? Take into consideration how often the tenants (or employees) come and go within your building or business.
- How many panels/slats will you need? Do you need some extra for building space that has not been filled?
- Would you like a header or building name/logo area at the top of the sign?
- Do you have a preference for the materials and/or colors used? Metals, glass, acrylic, and wood are some materials that can be used used to design a custom configuration that is perfect for your space.
- Do you have a budget in mind for your project? This always helps you get an idea of what is attainable and helps your custom sign company (like us!) know what materials to recommend.
- Have you seen another sign that you like? If so, keep the links or photos handy for reference.
At 12-Point SignWorks, we have designed directories for buildings and businesses that perfectly showcase their brand image. From interior wayfinding signs with raised text and braille (to satisfy ADA requirements) to outdoor signage with custom dimensional logos, we welcome the chance to create a high-end system that complements any design and budget.
We fabricated this interior wayfinding directional sign for the Nolensville Town Hall. The colors used in the sign are complementary to the building decor from the time of construction. The sign is ADA compliant and provides a simple designation to the departments/offices on each floor.
We created this dimensional acrylic sign to match an existing sign in the same building. We used a white acrylic backer and laser cut acrylic tenant slats in maroon. A custom non-glare acrylic piece was added to the top of the directory to offer protection for the removable pieces beneath. Aluminum standoffs with a satin finish connect the entire system together and to the wall.
Each tenant slat is customized with white cut vinyl pieces that identify the business name and suite number. For each slat, we used standoff snap connectors to allow them to pop off to be changed and updated.
The contemporary look of this aluminum and acrylic exterior directory sign perfectly blends with the building's exterior. We used a black aluminum composite backer panel and brushed aluminum tenant panels. We attached the tenant panels to the backer with satin aluminum standoffs. The building address and business logos were fabricated from laser cut black acrylic. This gives a very personalized and modern look; however, the use of the acrylic makes tenant changes a little more costly. This is something to consider for businesses with frequent tenant turnover. Notice the extra panels at the bottom that were added with future tenants in mind.
We also create directories for businesses wanting to announce employees on duty. One we particularly love to feature is the slat directory system we designed and fabricated for Cool Springs Eyecare here in Franklin, TN. This interior sign shows which employees are on duty in certain areas of their on site optical lab.
Laser cut silver acrylic letters are bonded to a 1/4" thick frosted clear acrylic panel to create the base of this sign. We added black lettering to the sign to list the various positions. To link the position to the employee on duty, we created matching frosted clear acrylic slats for each employee name. The slats connect to the sign with super strong neodymium magnets, which make them durable and easily changeable. We originally created twelve slats, but we recently added some new ones!
As you can see, directory signage can take on many shapes, sizes, colors, and styles. We enjoy the challenge of creating unique signage that benefits businesses and the people who visit them. If you are looking for a directory sign - or any type of custom signage - contact us at (615) 595-6564 or click on the link below for a free consultation and estimate.